It is important to have regular conversations about staying safe online and to encourage young people to speak to you if they come across something worrying online.
The resources below provide guidance and support for parents and carers on how to talk to your child about a range of online safety issues, as well as set up home filtering and age-appropriate parental controls on digital devices:
- Thinkuknow provides resources for parents/carers and children of all ages to help keep children safe online.
- Childnet has developed guidance for parents and carers to begin a conversation about online safety, as well as guidance on keeping under-fives safe online.
- Parent Info provides digital support and guidance for parents/carers from leading experts and organisations.
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) has guidance for parents and carers to help keep children safe online.
- UK Safer Internet Centre provides tips and advice for parents and carers to keep children safe online – you can also report any harmful content found online through the UK Safer Internet Centre.